Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Green Mango for Chutney

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi Mamta, Sakkarin from the Food Board, trust all's well your end.

It's a question on sourcing green mango, I've spent a fair deal of time trying to find them (for homemade mango chutney), I recall a visit to a Wealdstone market some years ago, when every stall had mountains of them, and I remember being able to find them here in Watford too. These days if I can find them they are weeny, wizened little things, and it is some time since I've seen them at all. I even made a special trip to Wealdstone a couple of months back, and could not find them anywhere there either, the entire length of the high street.

One thought was that they may be seasonal, and I've missed the season. I get the impression from your posts that you are based in North London, do you know of anywhere North of Brent Cross that they are available?

Sakkarin, on 1/12/2021 12:05pm

P.s. Not the Thai-style green mangoes which Wing Yip in Colindale sell, they're horrifically expensive!

Mamta, on 1/12/2021 12:50pm

Hello Sakkarin

Long time since we communicated. Hope you are well?

This is the wrong season to look for green mangoes, at least from the Indian subcontinent. Late spring/ early summer is the best time. You get a perfectly good green chutney using apples. I have made this chutney using following things, along with mint, coriander leaves and chillies:

Apples of all sorts, including cooking apples

Oranges

Peaches

Plums

Grapes and other fruits in the basket.

To add the essential tartness that comes from green mango, I add juice and flesh if lemon/lime. I also scrape in a little lemon/ lime skin in it.

We now live in south London, not far from Wimbledon. Moved here from Bedfordshire six months ago.

Mamta

Sakkarin, on 1/12/2021 03:23pm

Ta!

You've reminded me that a few years back I used underripe pears (from my garden) and swede as substitutes for Thai green mango dishes, I think I may try a version using your Chango Mutney recipe and half and half of those two.

Not sure why I thought you were in North London, maybe it was Kavey, I know she used to work here in Watford.

Mamta, on 1/12/2021 03:49pm

Yes, Kavita used to live in north Finchley.

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com