Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Apple chutney

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi Mamta

I've been doing a lot of this recently, from apples and pears in a communal garden here in Peebles, called The Secret Garden.

A friend has emailed me her recipe, which is almost identical to yours (but she uses black mustard seeds).

She says there's no need to peel the apples. Do you agree?

Phil

Mamta, on 22/10/2017 06:10am

A lot of Indian use black mustard seeds, even within my family. It will be nice, slightly different flavour. You can even use Panch-Pooran.

Any edible fruit skin should be fine.

I don't know which recipe your friend is using, they are all pretty mush the same, with minor variations. The one I use most often these days is my father's, who has been dead for 50 years. He learned pickling and jam making during the British Raj, when he was a young chemist, so probably in his twenties, at a sugar factory which made jams, sauces, pickles also, along with sugar. So I guess, they were originally British recipes, which he modified to Indian taste, as part of his role as the main chemist. I keep his Preserve notebook/register on my desk, where they are all written in his neat handwriting for inspiration :).

Phil, on 24/10/2017 02:35pm

Oh, thanks for that Mamta! I must try the fenugreek and fennel one: now is the time of year for all these chutneys, as so many people have more apples than they know what to do with.

How interesting that these chutneys may have been British in origin, and then adapted with Indian spices.

Phil

Mamta, on 24/10/2017 04:04pm

I am not sure of the origin but they were being made in some sugar factories in India in 1940s-50s. It is quite possible that the British were just meeting a local demand by supplying it in tins.

My grandmother, my late aunts and even my mother sometimes, used to make sun ripened mango chutney with vinegar, raw sugar and spices, very similar to the cooked one. It was sun ripened, as it still is in many families, including some of my siblings. They make both, cooked and sun ripened version. Here is a recipe for it; Mango Sweet Pickle/Chutney 2- Sun Ripened

Phil, on 26/10/2017 06:15pm

Thanks for that, Mamta. I did the green mango chutney, although the mango wasn't very green.

I also want to do that plum chutney.

I just got some poppadums from Sainsbury's, which I had with three of your chutneys: green tomato, apple and pear, and green mango.

Spare ribs tonight, with a sauce I got from this website.

The best dips for poppadums I've ever come across in an Indian restaurant are at East z East, in Manchester: brill garlic chutney, and a lovely, sweet plum chutney.

Phil

Mamta, on 27/10/2017 06:18am

Good morning Phil

I make plum or apple chutney every year using the surplus fruit from the garden.

One of my sister in-law makes garlic chutney, I will ask her for a recipe, if you like.

Mamta

Phil, on 2/12/2017 05:05pm

Yes, please send that recipe, Mamta.

I have another query:

someone just gave me a jar of her home-made apple chutney, which she calls 'Apple Murrobo'. She says it's Gujerati.

I've Googled 'Murrobo', and all I can find is Australian stuff.

Is she mistaken?

Phil

Mamta, on 4/12/2017 10:28pm

Murabbo is the Gujarati pronounciation of the Indian/Hindi word of Arabic origin, Murraba. It means fruit preserved in syrup. I have a recipe here mamtaskirchen for preserving the Indian fruit Amla or Indian Goosberry, totally different from the UK Goosberry. Amla is a fruit that grows on big trees.

You can make apple murabba with this recipe: http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13378

phil, on 14/12/2017 03:33pm

Many thanks, Mamta: I'll tell that lady, and I'll check out that recipe.

Phil

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com