Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - coconut milk

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

HI

just wondering, how to make cocounut infused rice. i am form

Tanzania and rice with coconut flavour is a staple in our homes, i lost the rec

ipe, and wondering of there is any on here from east africa that does have an au

thentic recipe for "Wali na Nazi". Any suggestions for using substituting tinn

ed coconut milk instead of fresh grated coconut.

Kev, on 23/1/2016 11:03am

Ive used coconut milk instead of water to boil rice in. Cant remember how it turned out though. I think it was good.

Mamta, on 24/1/2016 12:41pm

I have not replied to this question so far, because I am not familiar with this dish. But adding creamed coconut should work; http://goo.gl/VprGQR It is worth a try. This is easily available in most parts of the world.

Helen Bach, on 24/1/2016 11:47pm

creamed coconut is basically coconut oil, and so will not work.

This may help: http://www.congocookbook.com/rice_recipes/wali_wa_nazi.html

Mamta, on 26/1/2016 12:07pm

Many thanks for posting the link Helen

In dishes other than rice, I have used creamed coconut in place of milk, so I just looked it up. It reads in the blurb of the link you posted that it can be used to make coconut milk;

Blue Dragon Creamed Coconut is a pure product made entirely from fresh coconut, which is milled and formed into a convenient block. It can be added, in small pieces, straight into curries towards the end of cooking to thicken them and add creaminess or can be used to make coconut milk.

Blue Dragon website add one more sentence at the end of above paragraph;

For Coconut Milk: Pour 400ml boiling water into a jug and add 100g Creamed Coconut. Stir until dissolved.

Helen Bach, on 26/1/2016 05:18pm

yes, Mamta, adding water will be OK, but not creamed coconut on its own. It contains about a third coconut oil, which is nearly ALL saturated fat, so not healthy in this day and age.

The method I use for basmati rice is one measure of rice to one measure of water + a little extra to account for losses during cooking.

So whatever coconut is added, it must contain the same amount of water as there is rice (+ a little extra).

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com