Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Help me to make cheese

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2 3

I use Rennet from New England Cheesemaking Company, maybe www.cheesemaking.com. They will send you whatever you want, they also have a newsletter and some recipes. Both animal and vegetable rennet are available.

Zain, on 20/4/2007 11:38am

This website lokes great for begineers and eastern ladies, I live in Karachi, Pakistan. Some days before I tried to make cheese with method as suggested before, I hanged the cloth in refrigerater's grill for about a week and when I realesd, it smells same as cheese and yellow in colour but my mom didn't allow me to eat it due to risk of food poisoning.

Can I use cottage cheese (home-made) for pizzas?

Mamta, on 20/4/2007 05:47pm

Hello Zian

Welcome!

Paneer or cottage cheese on Pizza? Not really, but you can try. Don't you get buffalo milk Mozzarella cheese in Pakistan? It is freely available all over India, so I just wondered if you can find it over there too. Ask you Pizza restaurant where they get their cheese from. Do you get cheddar or any other types of cheeses there?

Best wishes

Mamta

AskCy, on 21/4/2007 09:37am

I can't remember ever trying to cook cottage cheese, but I'd guess it would be too wet for a pizza topping...

Maybe if you dried it out it might make an interesting differnce on a pizza?..

If you try it let us know.

Steve

Flubber, on 6/9/2009 10:25pm

If you get truly stuck for a cheesecloth, try buying a pack of Muslin Nappies - works well for jelly making and should be ok for cheese too - it's open weave to allow liquid through without any 'lumpy bits'

Good Luck

Mamta, on 6/9/2009 11:16pm

This is a good tip, thanks. I use my husband's old handkerchiefs mostly!

Mamta

Winton, on 6/9/2009 11:42pm

Since it became fashionable to make clothes out of cheesecloth you can normally get a much better deal per metre in fabric shops (especially with remnants) than the paltry sizes you generally get overcharged for in 'kitchen shops.'

Polly, on 8/9/2009 04:38am

There are many vegetarian options to coagulate milk. I think some stinging nettles, Lady's bedstraw and some other herbs will do this. I have made cheese, 'cheddar', mozzarella and a blue mould cheese. I have only used rennet, real animal derived rennet. But I do know there are other options. This is probably not the forum for finding them, however!

I did find an eBay supplier in the UK who will post vegetarian rennet to international locations. I don't seem to be able to post with his link attached, but the shop is maintained by brucedolby, Just look for rennet there, he says it is vegetarian.

The non woven nappy liners work well for draining small amounts of curd and are reusable.

I tend to use a piece of wet t shirt (or other cotton knit). No sticking, and washes well. Works for me for many sorts of fresh curd.

Good luck with your cheese making, it is an interesting hobby. This is a very interesting forum!

Cheers, Polly

Winton, on 8/9/2009 12:24pm

For making cheese I use cider vinegar as the acidifier and 'vegeRen' as the coagulant. The vegeRen is available from Sainsburys for £1.09 including on-line (I did check the other supermarkets for impartiality but to no avail!) Not much use if you are not in the UK, although health food shops do seem to be increasingly stocking it or you can get a UK friend to post it to you.

I went on a cheese-making workshop this summer and am now hooked! Once I have complete confidence in my recipe (not though I have had any failures yet) I'll ask Mamta to post it. If you can make paneer you can also make cheese, using normal kitchen equipment, just a couple of extra steps such as the coagulation and maturing.

Kasturi, on 9/3/2013 03:43pm

Hi.. there I have being trying really hard to find rennet tablets online to make cheese...but cannot find the website. I would really appreciate if I can get any help regarding this.

Thanks

Martin, on 9/3/2013 07:29pm

I thought I'd add that some 30 years ago I made Paneer by adding Alum powder to milk. I those days it could only be obtained from a chemist. However by sheer cooincidence I found it for sale in my local Asian grocery store.

Just another option,

Martin

kasturi, on 15/3/2013 05:13pm

Hi there... I live in India an am looking for vegetable rennet..but unfortunately

I am unable to get it...Please help..

Kasturi, on 15/3/2013 05:17pm

Hi.. Thanks for the reply Martin....but I am specifically looking for vegetable rennet to make mozzarella cheese...so lime vinegar..alum...won't help..

Thanks

Kasturi

Kavey, on 15/3/2013 11:17pm

Kasturi

We are based in UK so can't really help on specific suppliers of ingredients in India. Can only suggest you contact some of your local vendors and see if one can order this product in for you specially?

Kasturi, on 16/3/2013 05:44am

Hi...all

Thank you for the information...I really hope I will find a local vendor to help me find vegan rennet...wish me luck..

anonymous, on 27/8/2014 01:03pm

Hi,

You can try http://essdeemarketing.com/orders/

for rennet . They take orders but just to let you know they supply'microbial rennet '. I was a bit skeptical bein a Jain .

Martin, on 29/8/2014 08:31pm

I've been interested to read this thread. 30 years ago I made my first batch of paneer using Alum powder to curdle the milk (available then only from chemists!). These days, isn't it just so easy to make with lemon juice? I have a permanently situated hook on the underneath of my wall cupboard which I use for draining the paneer. I use a square of jam making muslin by the way (it's got loops at each corner precisely for the the draining process.

By the way in the UK we call the solids in this process 'Curds' and the drained liquid 'Whey'.

Which brings me to my point. Whey has some fantastic uses. You know a cat can smell Tuna from miles away - well try whey with your dog. They love it. It has many culinary uses and even works wonders on your compost heap. Just search on the internet for 'Whey'and you'll be pleasantly suprised on what you can do with it.

Martin

Mamta, on 30/8/2014 07:07am

Hello Martin

In India, most people I know do not throw away whey. They use it in their dals/curries etc. or save some to use for making next batch of paneer.

In India, curd/curds means yoghurt :-)

Martin, on 8/9/2014 08:39pm

As ever, there are many ways to use byproducts. How would the whey be used with lentils?

Regards,

Martin

Mamta, on 8/9/2014 09:02pm

You can cook lentils in less water than normal and then thin it with the whey.

Page: 1 2 3

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2021 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2021 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted by Digital Ocean
All comments and queries to [email protected]