Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Spice Grinders

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

Hi to All.

Having spoken to a number of people (including Mamta's Cookery Class last year) I've been on the lookout for a really good spice grinder. I've tried manual systems, coffee grinders and pestle & mortar solutions. I've looked at burr grinders, twin blade horizontal grinders, twin blade vertical grinders.

Can anybody offer their experiences and recommendations for grinding spices finely enough to meet recipe requirements?

I'm currently evaluating a Bodum Bistro. Will let you know how I rate it's performance.

Regards,

Martin (webb)

AskCy, on 2/1/2012 09:46pm

I've got a James Martin bean and spice grinder... has a special cup for holding the spices near the blades... not used it enough to decide... but first time out I took the special cup bit out as you can't put a lot of spices in with it.. worked fine without..

Steve

Askcy, on 3/1/2012 08:27am

just looked there are 2 types in his line, this is the one I've got james martin spice grinder - amazon

Steve

Askcy, on 3/1/2012 08:28am

copy and paste the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Martin-ZX789-Grinder-Booklet/dp/B005CZYN2Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325579154&sr=8-2

Steve

Mamta, on 3/1/2012 09:55am

Hello Martin

Nice to hear from you, hope your Indian cooking is going well.

I have this one, or similar to this one; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Twin-Blade-Coffee-Mill/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1325584225&sr=1-3 . I have had it before, it works well. The one that came with my blender is useless for spices. The burr grinder I bought was also useless for fine grinding and I have now passed it to Pete to grind his home grown wheat Incidentally, he made a lovely bread from this home grown, home ground wheat for Christmas lunch.

Over the years, I have learnt that simple coffee grinders work best for grinding fine spices.

AskCy, on 3/1/2012 02:30pm

here you go, my new grinder in action

the spices ready to be ground spices in grinder

and after a short whizz... ground spices

Steve

Mamta, on 3/1/2012 07:07pm

This is the one I have, works perfectly.

Martin, on 6/1/2012 07:30pm

Having a great deal of success with my Bodum Bistro. It is quiet, grinds dry spices to a pretty good fineness too. If I think the spice mix should be extra fine then I give it a few grinds in a pestle & mortar.

I thought burr grinders might give a finer result but I'm more than happy with my results.

Hope you find this helpful,

Martin

Mamta, on 7/1/2012 06:07am

Hello Martin

Yours looks very similar to the Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill that I have, I looked at it on YouTube. It has a low blade, same as Krups.

I have tried Krups Expert, GVX231, Burr Coffee Grinder. It is lovely for things like coriander seeds, but useless for large things like cinnamon/cassia bark and bay leaves. Also useless for very small things like mustard seeds and cumin. They just pass through it untouched

Martin, on 24/1/2012 08:10pm

I've tried the Bodum Bistro for 5 weeks. It's given continual great performance. All spices were ground perfectly. I took the precaution of first breaking up cinnamon sticks to the size of a fingernail. ( I use cinnamon sticks from my local store and they are pretty 'woody') as opposed to what is provided in expensive jars (comparitively thin offerings) from High Street Retailers.

No hesitation in recommending this grinder.

Regards,

Martin

Mamta, on 25/1/2012 10:32am

Thank you for that Martin. Which Bodum Bistro is it, BODUM Bistro Electric Coffee Grinder or BODUM 10903-01UK Bistro Electric Coffee Grinder?

Martin, on 27/1/2012 06:38pm

Hi to all especially Mamta,

The grinder is a Bodum Bistro Coffee Grinder. It has a model number (I think) 11160. The caveat is that it isn't designed for anything but coffee so spice grinding is probably excluded from any warranty.

Regards,

Martin

Mamta, on 28/1/2012 06:23am

I have mostly used this type (Bodum 11160) of coffee grinders of many different makes over the years, starting with old Moulinex that used to come with blender! Does anyone remember them? They all work very well. I don't grind any coffee with them, only spices, so there is no problem of mixing smells.

I had a few years ago, which did three different thickness grind; coarse, medium and fine. I have forgotten its name now!

Martin, on 3/2/2012 03:48pm

Think I'll stick with this model though it doesn't have the choice of a fine/medium/coarse selection. Given the low price (about £17) it'll do for me!

Regards,

Martin

phil, on 5/2/2012 03:48pm

Yes, Mamta, I recall those Moulinex machines. Ours eventually bit the dust, but lasted many, many years. Nowadays, things aren't made to last.

Grumpy Old Phil

Mamta, on 5/2/2012 06:19pm

My younger sister in Delhi is still using her old Moulinex that is now in our local Museum. It works absolutely fine!

Martin, on 5/2/2012 07:10pm

Hi Mamta,

Just to be clear, is the spice grinder or your sister that's in the local museum?

Regards,

Martin

Mamta, on 5/2/2012 07:56pm

LOL! Martin, she is my younger sister, so too young to be in a museum. Me on the other hand...

Jane, on 3/11/2020 06:45pm

Read messages with interest. It’s now 2020... what’s the best grinder for coffee and spices? Any changes in advice? Thanks

Jane, on 3/11/2020 06:46pm

Read messages with interest. It’s now 2020... what’s the best grinder for coffee and spices? Any changes in advice? Thanks

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com