Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - tandoori masala

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

hello mamta. i was wanting to make your tandoori masala but i do not use powdered garlic so i was wondering if i make it using all of the other spices and just crush a clove or two of fresh garlic and use that with some of the powder to marinade the chicken. would that work okay do you think or would you recommend i use powdered garlic?

thanks sid.

Askcy, on 30/1/2011 10:40pm

Sid if you look on the recipe Tandori Masala mix it shows -

• 2 tsp. garlic powder*

• 2 tsp. ginger powder*

and at the bottom the little * is linked to

*You can omit garlic and ginger powder and add fresh, when ready to use this mix.

so yes perfectly ok to do it :-)

Steve

sid, on 31/1/2011 01:11am

oops sorry. i will have to pay closer attention in future. thanks for that.

Sue, on 31/1/2011 06:08pm

hi sid, you can get tandoori masala mixes from the local shop. they come with many more herbs and spices than mamta uses. full ingredients list can be found at:

http://www.tandooricookingexpert.com/blog/2010/11/06/glossary-tandoori-masala-bbq-marinade-dry-mix/

Lapis, on 3/2/2011 12:42pm

I always use fresh garlic and ginger when making tandoori chicken. It makes a big difference, IMHO.

The mix that Sue suggested is truly a mix, a mix of tandoori masala and tandoori chat masala, not good, and not Indian. A good example of a 'kitchen sink' curry, everything in it!

I have found that when it comes to Indian spicing, less is more, we want to flavour the meat, not overpower it. I think Mamta's suggestions are just fine (using fresh garlic and ginger).

What I sprinkle over after cooking is tandoori chat masala, a kind of spicy tart salt, which makes the chicken taste very meaty indeed.

Ed, on 9/1/2022 11:36am

If you’ve pre-made Mamta’s tandoori mix, how many teaspoons of it do you add to make a tomato based curry sauce for 4 people?

Thanks, Ed

Mamta, on 9/1/2022 06:54pm

Hello Ed

Are you talking about this mix; How to Pickle Onions and Other Vegetables in Vinegar??

I guess it depends upon the amount of curry sauce you are making for how much of a main ingredient, how hungry those four people are expected to be. I am old fashioned and always cook extra. I don't like going short. Leftovers can be eaten next day.

The amount I have given is for 4 kg of chicken. So if you are cooking 1 kg. I guess you will add one fourth.

The quality of spices and their potency varies. I always recommend that you taste your spice/masala/curry mix or sauce, before adding chicken and also after your dish is cooked.

These masalas are only a rough guide. You must always taste your curry before finishing and adjust according to your taste.

Hope this helps.

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com