Mamta's Kitchen

Post Message

Please note: Commercial or inappropriate messages will be deleted. Thank you!

On 9/5/2016 03:56pm, Kavey posted:

MSG got a bad rap in America many decades ago and has never shaken it, even though there is absolutely NO scientific evidence to suggest there are any adverse side effects from using and ingesting it in the small amounts that are usually used in food.

Anecdotal claims that high doses can cause headaches have not been born out in fairly extensive scientific tests at all. Take from that what you will, but I will say that it's very hard for foods that are demonised to shake those negative connotations, even if long since disproven.

MSG is a naturally occuring sodium salt that is found in many foods we naturally think of as umami (savoury) such as mushrooms, parmesan. My understanding is that the stuff produced for sale as an additive is identical, chemically, to the naturally-occuring stuff.

I have absolutely no problem with MSG myself, though of course, I can't give you advice on what you should do, as I'm not a trained scientist or dietician.

Content copyright ©2001-2021 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2021 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted by Digital Ocean
All comments and queries to [email protected]