Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Keeping/reheating samosas

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

Hey Madhu,

Amazing recipe. I was wondering if I could make traditional samosas by deep frying them, cool them and then freeze them. And then just take them out when I wanted and put them in a preheated oven to heat them and still maintain the crispiness and freshness.

Thank you for your help,

KJ

Dave, on 1/10/2013 03:59pm

I've been making my own somosas now for several years and eat them fast enough NOT to warrant freezing them. My problem is : How do you keep them crispy once cooked? Mine always go soft and limp within @ 1hr after frying. The ones I've bought locally - that is to say home made rather than commercially produced are crispy when bought I thought maybe it was to do with the filling still being hot so have used it cold with no improvement.

Any ideas ? or is it just refrying? ( Not applicable at work though I fear)

Askcy, on 1/10/2013 05:36pm

could it be how you are storing them compared to the ones you buy ?

Steve

Mamta, on 1/10/2013 06:49pm

Perhps you are frying them too fast, in very hot oil? Samosa and Matharies should be fried slowly, on medium heat, allowing the pastry to get crisp. Well made samosas will remain crisp even when completely cold.

Dave, on 12/10/2013 02:14pm

Thank you both - Definately not how I store them - have tried most methods to no avail. Will try slower rying though I thought they generally had to be fast fried in v hot oil (sure that's mentioned in a couple of my books0 Thanks again

Mamta, on 12/10/2013 03:32pm

I disagree Dave, samosa are not fried fast in HOT oil. Always fry slowly, on medium heat.

AskCy, on 14/10/2013 05:57pm

try overworking the dough when you are kneading it, apparently that makes a crisper end product ! It was mentioned passing on one of the Hairy Biker programes

Steve

baker, on 11/6/2014 02:15am

hi i made some samosa put them in the freezer but all stuck together could you tell me what went wroung

Mamta, on 11/6/2014 04:49am

Samosas, kebabs, cutlets and thing like this should be frozen spread out on a tray for a few hours first, before putting close together in a box/bag. Otherwise, they will stick.

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com