Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Growing Corriander?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

"cilantro" is what we call "corriander leaf" which resembles the flat leaf type of parsley (rather than the curly leaf parsley)which maybe the confusion.

Steve

tim, on 13/3/2008 06:11pm

As said, I've tried it under all its names & we still get a pretty bush!!

Askcy, on 13/3/2008 07:19pm

A few links relating to cilantro/corriander

Cilantro: A Plant with Two Identities

This one gives a good explination - "techinically Corriander refers to the whole plant, while cilantro is the spanish word for corriander leaves"

whats cooking america.net/cilantro

There then does seem to be an odd report here and there of "delfino cilantro" which appears to be a different varient that looks a little less like the corriander leaves we know.

foodmayhem.com/delfino-cilantro

all with pictures so that should help

Steve

Phil, on 15/3/2008 05:31pm

Thanks for that, Steve

When we spent a semester in Austin, Texas, we bought coriander at the supermarket; it was called 'cilantro'. I couldn't see that it was anything other than what we know as coriander.

But the idea that there is a leaf/fruit vs plant distinction in Spanish is plausible:

in Scotland, we use 'bramble' for both the bush and the fruit, whereas the English call the plant a 'bramble', and the fruit a 'blackberry'.

I'm still awaiting warmer weather here in the South of France for our coriander to grow better in the window box.

I'm convinced that temperature plays a role!

Phil

skglily, on 19/5/2008 09:21pm

I have a black walnut tree where I would need to plant the coriander seeds.

Is coriander affected by the juglone in the black walnut roots? Do you think it would grow there?

AskCy, on 20/5/2008 08:00am

Hi skglily welcome to the forum !

It appears the growing conditions under the black walnut are difficult for most plants due to the chemicals around its root system.

A comprehensive list can be found here -

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/landscape/Juglone.htm

I'm guessing that Corriander isn't going to stand it very well but you could experiment and see what you get !

I'm also guessing that it isn't going to appear poisonous to humans as several fruits and veg are mentioned in the list as being able to grow there !

Steve

SteveAUS, on 22/5/2008 12:21am

I grow Coriander here in Australia. I have a constant supply of it. I love the stuff. I buy them as seedlings from the nursery, throw them in the vegie patch. A couple of months later when they are done I strip the leaves and store in ziplock bags in the freezer. I then plant the next batch. Endless supply of fresh frozen and fresh straight off the plants. Cant get enough of the stuff. The frozen leaves taste as fresh as when they were first picked.

Cheers

Steve

Kirsty, on 31/5/2008 01:42pm

Just found this thread after googling coriander growing. I'm about to try my second batch this year (the first batch failed to even germinate) so after reading this I'll try soaking it overnight. I've occasionally managed to get it going in the past, but usually I just get approximately 5 leaves and then it bolts. I'm so glad to read that it's not just me that's rubbish at growing coriander!

Very excited about growing methi - I can't buy methi leaves fresh here in the UK, and methi paratha's would be delicious - especially with the rhubarb chilli chutney I've just made a huge batch of! I suspect you'll see me around this forum fairly frequently from now on! :-D

steve rogers, on 22/12/2008 11:01am

the secret is to sow lotsof seeds.Corriander doed not likebeing cut back or transplanted.once you have used some leaves try to use the whole plant asap.Freeze what you dont need and for the freshest taste use before it starts to run to seed.

Mamta, on 19/4/2009 04:22pm

It is like sowing radish, close together but not on top of each others. I usually sow the seeds in drills about 2 inches aprt. Sometimes I just scatter seeds on a small bed and cover with soil. Keep well watered.

Rajneesh, on 19/4/2009 05:18pm

I grew coriander in tomato grow bags and it was successful. I just pluck the leaves wash it, chop it fine and freeze it for future use, maybe it is not as good as fresh ones but does the job.

Lapis, on 22/4/2009 04:31pm

although the word cilantro is said to be Spanish, the word comes from culantro, which, unfortunately is the name of a completely different herb, found in Mexico, but also in Thailand. Its flavour is very similar to coriander leaf, and is probably what Thai's use instead on coriander.

Some varieties of coriander seed are sold by seed sellers particularly for its leaf, and this is commonly called 'cilantro' variety.

At my local market, we call it dhania (yes I know it is Hindi ;?), and it's bought as two or three bunches at a time, along with mint and dill, every week. I pop into a jug half full of water, and it just about lasts the week if I keep an eye on the water.

Rajneesh, on 27/4/2009 07:32pm

Recently I was told by a family friend how to preserve coriander, I tried it and even after 4/5 weeks in the refrigerator it still looks good enough.

Cut the roots off and place the coriander on kitchen towel(cotton) and wrap the coriander just ONCE and place it in the plastic box ( I used a box approx 3 inch deep, place 1/2 sheet of paper at the base of the plastic box before placing the wrapped coriander on it (if the plant is a bit wet). The plastic box should be left open in the refrigerator and nothing should be placed upon it. I prefer to wash it afterwards when I need it, as it would save me the headache of drying it before preserving it.

Mamta, on 28/4/2009 11:43am

I will try this with mynext lot, but may take time. i don't buy it very often in summer, just pick what i need from the garden :-). If you would like me to add it here; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13437 , let me know.

Mamta

Rajneesh, on 29/4/2009 08:20am

Sure Mamta, why not.

Thanks

Mamta, on 30/4/2009 04:07pm

Hello Rajneesh

I have added your method, but had to move the sentences around a bit. Please check that I have not changed the meaning. If I have, please send me the amended version by e-mail (Contact link), I will correct it. Thanks

Coriander Leaves - How to Preserve Them?

Caytlyn, on 20/5/2009 10:34pm

Hi

Just finished browsing through this thread and I'm all ready to sow my first batch of seeds (which came off a bought plant that flowered, went all leggy and seeded before we could get any leaves off it). I am In New Zealand and the nights are getting fairly cold. The place where I live pretty much gets limited to no sun - there is one windowsill that gets sun - when there is any - for about 2 hours - in the morning.

Will my coriander grow in those conditions? Or should I wait till next spring and try then? (I also have a black thumb when it comes to trying to grow anything - I'm hoping I've outgrown it)

Thanks for your time

Caytlyn

Mamta, on 21/5/2009 04:18am

It does not sound likeyou have perfect conditions for growing coriander. I would try a few seeds in a small yoghurt pot first., making sure that the pot has a hole in the bottom for drainage.

Good luck

Mamta

tonyA, on 22/9/2009 12:39pm

Corrinader has difficulties being transferred from a pot you buy to your own soil. It has tendency to become 'stressed' and goes to seed.

Try to grow from seed and keep the sedds coming through to replensih if you have any that still become stressed.

Soo, on 14/10/2009 04:08pm

Hi

I have only just seen this message. I have given up trying to grow coriander and when its so cheap and fresh from a local store (in the midlands) I wonder why I even bothered trying.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com