Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Growing Corriander?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The only thing clinging on here is a couple of chilli plants and some basil, but they don't look like they will last much longer

(inside the house on the windowsil)

Steve

phil, on 22/1/2008 06:23pm

Steve,

I too have an indoor chilli plant hanging on for dear life, but I think I see new (small) leaves.

Re coriander plants: I finally succeeded with a window box, with much sunshine. I tried planting some new seed recently, but they haven't sprouted, probably because it's too cold (even here in the South of France, near the Med coast: it's not been a nice winter).

I haven't found that corainder seeds bought for cooking fail to produce tasty leaves once they've grown. Are there really two species, as suggested?

Cheers

Phil

Mamta, on 22/1/2008 07:34pm

I too have a chilli plant with a few very healthy looking, deep red chillies hanging from it. I take one when I need afresh one. This was grown from seeds of a whole red chilli in my spice cupboard, so probably more hardy than Sutton seeds one ;-)!

I am not growing coriander this winter, will start again in spring. Window sill grown one is never as healthy as the outdoor one. It is okay, but not great!

Mamta

Wendolene, on 4/2/2008 03:32pm

I'm so glad I've found this board. I thought it was just me that couldn't grow corriander for its leaf. I've taken on board all the suggestions made and will try again this year. When is the best time to plant the first seeds and what is the latest you can plant them and expect them to grow outdoors? I'd love a walled garden somewhere mild but unfortunately I am in NW England and have quite an exposed garden.

Mamta, on 4/2/2008 05:36pm

Welcome Wendolene!

Try growing it on South facing aspect, protected by some perennial bushes.

Jack, on 8/2/2008 03:18pm

Hi all - first time I've posted. I think you've got a great site here - found you when I was googling for a spinach bahji recipe.

Anyway you might want to know that www.organiccatalog.com have two varieties of coriander seed - one for leaf production and one for seeds.

I haven't tried the coriander myself, but I have bought other seeds from them before.

Mamta, on 8/2/2008 04:50pm

Hi jack

Welcome :-)!

I personally use the whole coriander seeds (the dark, small and not so pretty ones) that are sold as a spice at Indian shops and get fairly good crop.

Mamta

Catrin, on 9/2/2008 10:53am

Hi,

I always bought the seeds for the leaf production, the results where mostly disappointing. My leaf crop was always very small. The plants started flowering very fast and I got lots of very good tasting seeds. This year I`ll follow Mamtas suggestion. I think something is wrong with the climate or the soil.

Catrin

tim, on 9/2/2008 06:12pm

So glad to find this thread.

I've tried for years to grow it, but very quickly end up with lovely flowering bushes!! I've tried every type of seed in the book.

I've given up!

Mamta, on 9/2/2008 06:33pm

Don't give up yet Tim. I have just put some seeds in a pot in general purpose compost. The pot is outside (south of England), where it is quite warm at the moment. For the moment they are covered with a plastic dish. I am sure they will come up in a week or two. If gets too cold, I will bring the pot in. The seeds are the ordinary ones that I buy for my spice box.

Mamta

AskCy, on 9/2/2008 07:25pm

outside ! up here in the North we are still having hail storms and snow !

Steve

Mamta, on 10/2/2008 07:25am

Hello Steve

Temperature here is 14-16 today. I was working in my garden all aftrenoon yesterday in my full sleeved shirt! It was bright sunshine, all my neighbours were out, just like summer:-)! Same is predicted for today. may be we will get snow in May, LOL!

AskCy, on 14/2/2008 10:08pm

Actually we got a break in the clouds a few days back and I was out in my shorts and t-shirt mowing the grass ! (don't let this fool you into thinking it was summer though, I'm in my shorts most of the year as I'm always hot). However it did start a wave of panic mowing... everyone started coming out thinking it must now be time for the gardens first hair cut after winter... lol

Steve

Phil, on 16/2/2008 02:00pm

I planted some coriander seeds in our window box in January, and some of them have sprouted, but I think that low temperatures don't favour germination.

I'm going to plant more once the weather gets warmer. Our window box is north-facibf, but we're near the Mediterrean coast in the south of France, so the baseline temperature is higher than when we were in Northumberland!

Phil

Adam York, on 17/2/2008 11:51pm

Good to see this thread.Also in NW and post a couple of Coriander attempts.How much temperature and day length variation will it tolerate? Can you drill in and either flame weed or lightly cultivate to minimise weeds before emergence of shoots or will this cause it to bolt as well?

Regards

Adam

Kevin Jones, on 20/2/2008 01:18pm

This is a long thread, so I don't know if what I am stating is a repeat. Many contributors would seem to be going or gone down a mistaken route that I took some years ago. If you buy seeds labelled "Coriander" you will grow a product that quickly turns to seed. Great if that is what you want but increasingly - and in my case, what I want is leaf - the sort you get in Indian grocers but not in the supermarkets.

If you want leaf, buy Cilantro - not so easily available but any specialsit mail order seed producer will provide. Aspects, soil are largelt irrelvent - this is what you want.

Hope this is helpful.

Mamta, on 20/2/2008 01:41pm

Isn't Cilantro simply American name for Coriander?

AskCy, on 20/2/2008 09:40pm

I'm not sure if there are any subtle difference but as far as I'm aware yes they are one and the same

Steve

Guest, on 12/3/2008 08:42pm

I thought cilantro was a flat-leafed type of parsley and not coriander at all.

Mamta, on 12/3/2008 09:00pm

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com