Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Need tips on freezing food

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

Hi Mamta,

I am going to India for a long trip so If u have an idea about how to freeze food that will be a great help for me.

I want to know the following questions:

1. for how long can I freeze food. like can i freeze it for 1 month or so.

2. which vegetables can i freeze? I was thinking of mix vegetables, matar paneer, palak paneer, black gram etc.

3. do i need to add any preservatives?

4. what is the best method to freeze it? in ziplogs? in plastic containers?etc.

5. and how can i freeze rotis?

The one tip I know of is to freeze in small packets so that u dont need to defreeze it everytime u have to eat it.

Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks in advance.

Deepti Goyal

Mamta, on 7/3/2006 05:02am

Hello Deepti

I presume you mean you want to freeze food for your family in UK? In India, unless your family have an generator, it is not a good idea, as electricity supply is often interrupted several times a day, specially in summer. This is not good for frozen food. I will try to answer your questions one by one:

1. for how long can I freeze food. like can i freeze it for 1 month or so.

Ans. Yes you can. Food must be at room temperature before being put in the freezer.

2. which vegetables can i freeze? I was thinking of mix vegetables, matar paneer, palak paneer, black gram etc.

Ans. The vegetables you mention, freeze well. They must be defrosted fully and re-heated fully before consumption. Things like baingan bhurta, karela, kadhi, patra, pakoras, chapatties, parathas, poories also freeze well. Most vegetables will freeze, but they should be left slightly undercooked so they don't get too soggy whne re-heated. You can freeze some cooked masala mixes; like onions, tomatoes, spices cooked up to the stage where you would add vegetables. Freeze it in desired portions. Your family can then add it to any vegetable they want to eat/cook, for example tinned chickpeas, black eyed beans and fresh vegetables. Koftas can be frozen separately to their gravy and put together at the re-heating stage. Potatoes curries do not freeze well in my experience. They go a little crumbly.

3. do i need to add any preservatives?

Ans. No

4. what is the best method to freeze it? in ziplogs? in plastic containers?etc

Ans. Either will do, as long as they are clean. The things that have gravy, are better frozen without adding water. The person defrosting and eating them can do add water, when re-heating.

5. and how can i freeze rotis?

Ans. Do not butter them. If possible, do not add oil/ghee to the dough. Cool completely. Freeze in bags in small numbers, for example 5-10, one or two days portions only. They can be reheated on a hot griddle/tawa. If you coax them into ballooning up again, by pressing gently with a kitchen towel, they become almost like fresh.

The one tip I know of is to freeze in small packets so that u dont need to defreeze it everytime u have to eat it.

Ans. Exactly right!

It is going to be hard work cooking for a long time away. Try to encourage the person/s you are leaving all this food behind for(husband and children?), by leaving them simple recipes and spice mixes, ready to use. They might actually enjoy it! :-)

So where in India are you going? I am off there myself soon, but only for a short time.

Best wishes.

Mamta

AskCy, on 8/3/2006 03:34pm

don't freeze anything just point your family to this site and leave them a map of where the shops are.... Ha ha...

Deepti, on 8/3/2006 10:25pm

Thanks Mamta. That was of great help to me.

I live in US. I am going to Chandigarh. Its a good feeling to go to home country.

Where r u going?

I have already taken a printouts of few recipes from this site. Thanks for that suggestion too. :)

Bye. Take care.

Deepti

Mamta, on 9/3/2006 06:16am

Hello Deepti

I am going to Delhi and then Haridwar. I go to India twice a year, so it doesn't feel like i have been living away from my family. It is of course harder to do that when you have a young family. I am retired, so free to travel!

Mamta

sia, on 24/4/2006 06:41pm

hi mamta,

i have a question on the same topic...

once i tried to make some rotis in advance for the weekend..and kept them in the fridge...i cooked them on the tava..to the point when they start balloning...

but they turned out to be rubbery and hard when i re-heated them.

should i cook it completly and then keep in fridge

and also...when reheated..should the tava be very hot or medium

Mamta, on 24/4/2006 08:13pm

Hello Sia

Rotis freeze reasonably well, though never the same as fresh. I would just undercook them a bit, cool completely, make sure they are fully wrapped in foil or in a plastic bag, before putting them in the freezer. For re-heating, heat a tawa/griddle and heat rotis on both side, gently pressing with a kitchen towel. They should balloon up and look almost like fresh.

Mamta

sia, on 25/4/2006 09:15pm

thanks a lot.....surely will try accordingly this time

prashanthi, on 1/4/2014 01:34pm

Reason why am writing here is that am also going for vacation in india with my two young daughters but leaving behind husband in america who is a decent cook but lazy as well only to cook.....I was browsing for tip

S to freeze parathas and came across this blog .I felt like am in company of good friends chatting happily.....lifted my mood instantly.....love you all ladies...you are so sweet to take care of your families...great job....

Mamta, on 2/4/2014 06:09pm

:)

AskCy, on 2/4/2014 09:46pm

we aren't all ladies :-)

Steve

Mamta, on 3/4/2014 06:44am

:) :) ;

divya, on 22/8/2015 08:08pm

Hi. I tried freezing cooked dal fry but when i reheated. The texture of the daal changed. It veacame more soggy n particles seperated. Is thr any specipic wat to freeze dal? Should i remove water before freezing . Pls suggest.

Mamta, on 24/8/2015 08:43pm

Hello Divya

Dal generally freezes quite well, unless it is overcooked to start with. In this case, it will become soggy and mushy when re-heated. Dal generally appears a bit thicker when de-frosted, just like it does after it has been chilled in the fridge. Before serving, add a little hot water to thin it, stir it in gently and then reheat gently. If you stir it too much, it will become mushy.

Nicole, on 8/2/2016 03:08pm

Hi, I recently made a large batch of veggie pakora batter & was wondering if I could freeze it?

Mamta, on 9/2/2016 09:56am

I am sure you can. Alternatively, you can use it to make Chilla Pancake, lovely for lunch or dinner.

Poonam, on 14/6/2017 03:50pm

Hi

Can i freeze kadhi pakora?

Mamta, on 15/6/2017 12:29pm

Yes, most definitely. I always make extra and freeze them. They should be fully cooled and then frozen in a freezer bag.

Puja, on 2/8/2020 08:13am

Hi,

Can we freeze Kadhi n for how long?? Also what is the best way to do it?

Mamta, on 3/8/2020 11:34am

Hello Puja

Yes you can freeze kadhi, I often do it. Make sure it is fully defrosted before you stir it, or you will break up pakoras.

I freeze it in either small glass containers or Some old plastic boxes that I still have.

Mamta

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com