Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - how to make khichi(rice) papadum

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

hello miss,

i am from india, here in canada,

do you have any idea how to make khichi papadum, i tried two three time but i could not succeed

can you help me?

thanks

Mamta, on 18/4/2007 02:59pm

Hello Kavita

what are Khichi papodoms? Are they the ones made from boiled rice? I have sago ones on site, you can take a look ; Sabudana papad.

Mamta

kavita, on 20/4/2007 01:10pm

yes miss mamta

they made it with rice powder,they steamed it and making it i dont know actuall procedure, but it is like that they boil the water add rice powder and other stuffs and mix it well.

then they make big balls like and steam again, and then they roll it, get it dry like papadoms and store it.

use it as require, either roast it or fry it

do you know the recipe, i tried but not succeed. Till the time i roll them they are okay, but it carcks after it dries,does not remain as it is.

so i don't know where am i wrong?

can you help me?

kavita

Mamta, on 20/4/2007 04:52pm

Hello Kavita

I don't make rice papads, my mum used to make rice and sabudana (sago/tapioca) every summer and store them for the whole year. I will ask my sisters in India if they still do. These things are so easily available these days that not many people make them at home anymore.

Bhavna, on 23/4/2007 07:47pm

Hello,

I have also been looking for a recipe for khichi and wrote to this site a while ago but to no avail. I have since come across the following recipe but have not tried it out. Maybe you could give it a go nd let me know how it turns out.

Khichi

Preparation Time : 15 mins

Cooking Time : 30 mins

Serves / Makes : 5 people

Ingredients

3 cups rice flour

grinded green chillies

41/2 cups water

salt to taste

soda bi carbonate

1 tbls jeera

1 tsp ajwain

Method

seive the flour. Boil the water. Add chillies,salt,soda bi, jeeraand ajwain. Add flour and mix it properly. Then make smmall round lioke puri with your hand. Put it on thali and cook it in cooker for 5 mins. Have hot with little bit of oil.

AskCy, on 23/4/2007 08:09pm

"ajwain" another spice I wasn't aware of !

Bhavna, on 23/4/2007 08:18pm

Hi there,

In gujarati, this spice is called Ajmo and it can be used in a variety of ways. It is often found in Indian savoris like 'gathia' and my mum often uses it as part of a 'tarka' particularly when making bean curries like black gram and chick pea curries. This may be to aid digestion because in it's raw form we were asked to chew a little bit whenever we had stomach ache! It's quite fragrant in taste (similar to dill seeds) but can be bit hot in taste.

I'm sure it has many other wierd and wonderful uses which no doubt users of the site might wish to share!

Rgds

Mamta, on 24/4/2007 06:09am

Ajwain is 'carom seeds'.

Mamta

AskCy, on 24/4/2007 05:08pm

I did google it and it said it tasted a bit like Thyme ?

Mamta, on 25/4/2007 05:54am

Bhawana

This recipe sounds okay. I have no time at prsent to try anything new out, at least for a few eeks. Now that you have found out the recipe and ingredients I will just simplify the instruction a bit. I remember a little bit from 40 years ago when my mum, like every other woman in India, used to make them at home, before the days of everythign ready-made of good quality became available ;-)! We helped her as young girls, but it was a long time ago.

Rice Flour Popodoms or Khichi

Ingredients

3 cups rice flour

4-5 green chillies, pureed

Salt to taste

1 tsp. soda bi carbonate (this amount is a guess. It is added to make the Popodoms ‘fluff up’ during frying.)

1 tabs .cumin seeds or jeera, dry roasted on griddle

1 tsp. carom seeds or ajwain

4 1/2 cups boiling water

Method

Sieve the rice flour into a large cooking pan.

Add flour chillies, salt, soda bicarbonate, cumin/jeera and carom/ajwain and mix well.

Add boiling water slowly and mix vigorously, making sure that there are no lumps. The amount of water may be different for different types of rice, so add a little at a time, until you get the right consistency. You may have to cook it a little, until it looks like the consistency of a stiff dough. Allow to cool completely.

Then make small round balls of about 2 cm size. Keep them covered with a moist cloth.

Now roll them out into small popodoms, spread on a large cloth and let them dry in hot sun, perhaps a conservatory.

Store in sealed bags.

For serving, deep fry in hot oil, where they will fluff up, ready to be served.

I will suggest that try out with only 1 cup of rice flour first and make adjustmenst wher the recipe doesn't have the right amounts etc.

Best wishes

Mamta

Khichri, on 30/4/2007 02:43pm

Hi again!!!

I love khichi papad or if one is gujarati (like a couple of us here I gather?) and from a particular area of the state then it's also called Papdi.

My mother's an expert, but I don't make it - I think something that's been missed in your instructions above is Alum (or phatakri) which is something I think is also added to the water that's boiled first before the rice flour is added. Water is brought to the boil with chopped green chillies, sesame seeds, jeera, salt and alum are added to it then the rice flour is added and it is all mixed. If you want to just eat Khichi then cloves and cinnamon sticks can also be added to the water. The cooled mixture which has been well mixed is then shaped into rounds and steamed and then eaten with some oil poured over it.

If making the papdi (the rice poppadoms) then it's best not to include cloves and cinnamon and the steamed flour is made into small balls, rolled out and dried in the sushine.

Mamta, on 30/4/2007 05:11pm

How about getting your mum's recipe for us, to add to the site, with her name of course? What is better than a tried and tested recipe!

Look forward to hearing from you

Mamta

Khichri, on 1/5/2007 10:28am

ok mamata, I'll try and get something down for the site.

suvarna Mala, on 28/6/2008 05:44pm

Can You please tell us the ingredient to expand the papad when it is fried in Oil. we are not in a position to get this. Help us in identifying this ingredient

suvarna Mala

Mamta, on 28/6/2008 07:38pm

I think you mean soda bicarbonate. See; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13176

mamta

Lapis, on 29/6/2008 11:30am

sodium bicarbonate, or bicarbonate of soda, note, not baking powder (in UK, anyway). HTH

AARTI, on 7/7/2008 09:58am

HI ALL,

PLEASE ADD SAJJI KHAR INSTEAD OF SODA BICARBONATE IN MAMTA'A RECEIPE.

IT IS KNOWN AS (WASHING SODA, SAL SODA,DHOBI'S EARTH) IN ENGLISH AND CHEMICAL NAME IS SODIUM-CARBONATE (IMPURE),

It is also used in making urad papad.

enjoy the khich....

Lapis, on 7/7/2008 10:42am

Please don't add washing soda, it is far too alkaline and may well burn your mouth. Its purpose is (or used to be) in helping to clean clothes by dissolving (saponifying) the grease/fat. The clue is in the name, WASHING soda,

PLEASE DO NOT USE IT IN FOOD.

Mamta, on 7/7/2008 11:44am

Hi aarti

Thank you for your post but I think that it is too risky to use washing soda, even if it was the right thing to use. I know it is used in small quantities in production of several food items, but I wouldn't recomend it. Don't use it, unless you know the exact amounts, strength needed and how to use it.

Mamta

Ty, on 7/12/2010 01:02am

Sodium bicarbonate is sold as 'baking soda'. It is used mainly for baking but can be used to clean and deodorize, but it is safe to ingest.

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com