Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Measurements Conversion

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Could you help me understand the terminology 1/2 inch or 1 inch of root ginger or when something says tspn or tablespoon of grated ginger and how these would equates into metric using digital scales. Thanks

AskCy, on 9/6/2015 06:07am

If you look across the menu bar at the top of the page where the buttons have things like "Home"... "About"..."Search"... "Forums"...."Shop" and "Advice"...

If you click on the 'advice' button several choices appear, select "conversion charts" and all the information is there :-)

(but bare in mind that its not normal to give a metric weight measurement for a teaspoon of something as that's a volume measurement and usually too light to bother going by weight)

Steve

AskCy, on 9/6/2015 06:10am

oh... and 1 inch is equal to 2.54cm :-)

Steve

Ganders, on 9/6/2015 12:57pm

Unfortunately, ginger is one of those ingredients which are measured strangely - "1 inch" doesn't directly translate to either grams OR teaspoons, because of course ginger isn't always the same thickness.

Personally, when I'm using the pre-chopped ginger from the jar, I work on the basis of one well-heaped teaspoon per "inch" required.

firsttimecurry, on 10/6/2015 07:20pm

Thanks going give the chickpea curry recipe a go, in case first one doesn't turn out too well don't want waste the meat, Cheers

Mamta, on 12/6/2015 04:46am

Like many other ingredients, ginger amount is approximate and variable according to the freshness, thickness and quality/type of ginger root, you're taste (some like things quite gingery, while others only want a hint) and availability. An inch or cm is only a suggestion. Start with less and move to more, if unsure.

The best thing to do is to taste and adjust seasonings towards the end of cooking adish, as you would do in any other cooking.

Hope your chickpea curry came out well?

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com