Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Baked Malai Kofta

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Dear Mamta

Today I tried to make malai koftas in oven. I had brushed them nicely with oil before putting in preheated oven, but they got stuck to the baking sheet. When I pucked them up to turn, their base got stuck n pulled apart.

Please advice what can be the cause.

I dont like to fry too much so I wNt to make baked koftas.

Thank You

Mamta, on 6/6/2015 05:50am

Hello Sam

I think it is the lack of oil that make them stick to the base. If the texture was otherwise okay, you can bake them on a non-stick, silicone sheet next time.

They are best when deep fried. If fried in medium to hot oil, as opposed to low temperature, they do not absorb as much oil. If you are worried about access oil, just dip them for a few second in hand hot water and stir, before adding to your curry sauce. Most of the excess oil will be washed off.

Sam, on 6/6/2015 09:16am

Thanks for reply - Mamta G

Please clarify what do you mean by lack of oil

Will it oil coating outside or mixed in the kofta mixture

Thanx

Mamta, on 6/6/2015 08:26pm

If there is no oil at al and they are being baked on a tray, they are likely to stick to it. Some lubrication is required. You could bake them on a silicone non-stick tray. My understanding is that you do need some oil to cook through. The paragraph below from recipe from the bottom of this recipe Kadhi may help to understand;

"Microwave pakoras/dumplings are low fat and can be cooked almost fat free, without frying. Place all dumpling ingredients in a bowl + 1 teaspoon oil and make quite stiff batter. Place about 8 dollops of this batter on a microwave steamer plate. Steam at around 800 power, for 2 minutes. Adjust time for different powers. My elder brother Ashok taught me this method. He says, “the reason why you have to add a little oil to the batter is that fat in the batter heats up 'preferentially’, faster than the rest of the material. This helps to cook the entire core uniformly. It is a known scientific fact that the electro-magnetic waves produced in a microwave oven are preferentially absorbed by good conductors of electricity and by certain long chain molecules of food, like in fat, egg yolk, sugar and even water which is a better conductor of electricity than flour. This is the reason why when you try to roast peanuts or almonds in a microwave, you may be able to handle them with naked fingers, but try putting them in your mouth, you will almost surely scald your tongue! Similar thing happens when you warm samosas or patties in a microwave when the filling gets heated much more than the skin."

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com