Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - hamsag

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

for tea tonight, I am cooking Hamsag, my variation on a Dhansak theme. I boil a smoked ham, then use some of the water to cook lentils (3 kinds), squash and greens and herbs (the sag). I finish with a little sumak sprinkle and fresh pomegranate seeds.

Apologies to those Parsi who might be offended by my adaption.

Mamta, on 3/4/2015 04:47pm

Come back and tell us what it tasted like.

Mamta, on 3/4/2015 09:04pm

OMG Helen, I deleted your post by mistake! I clicked on delete option (not visible to you), instead of reply :(. I am so sorry!

I enjoyed reading your Ham-sak recipe, it seemed like a time consuming recipe I am glad that your family enjoyed it. Yes I agree, spinach will be nicer than kale.

Dried black limes are used in middle eastern cuisine to give a dish some tartness. In India, we use dry, unripe mango slices, whole or in powder form. This is called amchoor.

Once again, I apologise for deleting your post.

Mamta

Helen Bach, on 3/4/2015 09:27pm

no worries, Mamta, I think we have a lot in common!

Recipe was quite easy, mostly letting it do its own thing (without it catching!). The original Dhansak, using lamb, must have been a one pot dish.

It wasn't kale, it was Swiss chard. Anyway, palak next time.

I used powdered limes in some recipes. They bury fresh ones in the ground (sand) until dry! And on a lime note, I have started pickling (using vinegar, not the Indian way). I tried to preserve limes and lemons in brine for Moroccan cooking (another cuisine I like) and the results are good, but the skins and flesh turn out to be rather mushy, so that when I add them to a dish, they kind of get lost in the general mix. But I started to use something called pickle crisp, which, as it says, keeps vegetables crisp. A tsp of the crystal to a jar of suitable veg. in vinegar does the trick (usually). I tried this with lemons, and they shrank to half their size, but their skins stayed as they were, before pickling. Flavour similar to lemons or limes in Indian pickles.

Mamta, on 4/4/2015 07:57pm

:)

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com