Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - pickled chillis

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi Mamta

Going to be making half a dozen of your chilli pickle recipes. Don't mean to be a pain but was wondering are chilli pickle recipes 4, 5 and 9 long lasting and would they need to be stored in a fridge after being opened ? Also you say to make chilli pickle recipe 10 last longer you need to add oil. Would this be Mustard Oil, would the chillis need to be completely covered and how long lasting would this then be ?. Thank you for your patience

Mamta, on 1/9/2014 11:34am

Hello jevman

These chilli pickles are usually eaten until the next year/season, but since chillies are now available all the year around, I tend to make only 1-2 jars at a time.

Chilli pickle 4 will last a long time, vinegar preserves them. However, they do loose crispness if kept for too long. I don't have any pictures on this recipe, so if you make some, please do remember to take a few, if you can, and send them to me, they will be much appreciated :-). I keep forgetting to do this!

Chilli pickle 5 should last at least a year, unless opened. Then it will last a month or two. If you eat your pickles slowly, keep the opened jar in the fridge.

Chilli pickle 9 is made with red, mature chillies. This pickle can last for years.

Chilli pickle 10, use enough mustard oil just to cover it. Recipe edited to add this).

Use sterilised jars and lids for longer life.

You are most welcome!

I have just finished make spicy tomato ketchup from 1 kg garden tomatoes, will post pictures later on mamtaskitchen facebook page.

jevman, on 2/9/2014 05:55am

Hi Mamta

Thanks for your quick reply. Am off to Spain now for a month so will be doing the pickling when I get back. Will try my best to upload some pics but am pretty kak at doing stuff like that but hey couldn't cook till I came on this site. As a last resort can always enlist the help of some 6 year old. :)

Mamta, on 2/9/2014 06:00am

lol! You don't upload the pictures here, send them to me via email; the contact link above. Have a safe and fun trip.

Martin, on 8/9/2014 07:34pm

I've used Mamta's recipe below for quite a while mow and would recommend it.

Chilli pickle hot in mustard oil (Mirch ka rai wala achar)

I've made this in bulk many times so thumbs up to Mamta!

The recipe I'm sure suits making it in an hot environment. You will need to adapt it a little if you want to make it in more temperate climates. Here, I would ask Mamta to put me right on making it in temperate climates.

The recipe says:

1) Remove stalks from chillies, wash and allow to dry completely on a towel left in a sunny place. They should be completely free of water or your pickle will not last.

I dry mine over a very low heat in the oven at about 100oC until they look withered. At this stage they are looking very withered but not perfectly dried as you might expect when buying dried chillies. I was concerned about their shelf life when I first made the pickle as the recipe says 'they should be completely free of water or your pickle will not last'. My pickle, has lasted at least 18 months but now going on 2 years and is still OK.

Next:

Fill in jars, close lid and cover the jar with a newspaper tube. 8. Leave in the sun for 10-15 days. 9. When Chillies are soft, add another 1-2 tbsp. mustard oil and store.

According to Mamta the reason the jars are covered with a newspaper tube is that in the sun (in India) they could become overcooked (Mamta, please correct me if this is incorrect). So, in our relatively week sun I'd make this pickle during late summer and then try placing the pickle in full summer sunlight, uncovered for as long as possible.

I wouldn't mind hearing from anybody who has tried this recipe and also to hear what type of chilli they used?

Regards,

Martin

Mamta, on 8/9/2014 08:01pm

Hello Martin

Drying chillies on very low (warm only) oven is fine.

The tip about covering it with a newspaper tube is for very hot sun of India and similar. Because the summer sun there gets near to 48C or more, it discoloures chillies to a very pale, washed out colour, not a pretty sight. I have never needed to do this in UK, where a sunny window sill is fine.

Martin, please note that this pickle recipe is from Mrs. Vinodini Rastogi, who is now 93 this years old. She is the mother of my sister in-law, I have enjoyed her superb pickles on my trips to India for over 40 years! She is a very a experienced and great cook of her time, though too frail to cook any more. This is just by the way!

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com