Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Preserving coriander

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Has anyone tried this method, sent to me by reader Libertad van der Biest ?

"I have tried many methods. The best is to wash well the bunch of leaves dipping it into tap cold water several times. Dry a little hitting it a bit against a cloth or paper towel.

Then put it in a glass jar and close it air tight. After 3 weeks leaves are still green, with its aroma and flavor".

AskCy, on 2/2/2014 09:17am

no not tried that method but will note that when we buy pre-packed coriander leaf from the supermarket that comes sealed in an inert (nitrogen filled?) plastic bag, it will only last about a week before starting to wilt and its flavour going.

Steve

Mamta, on 2/2/2014 11:33pm

I am going to have to try this one too. You never know steve, it might work better! It will then work for all the herbs.

Martin, on 5/2/2014 04:52pm

Use this method to keep parsley too. Probably good for most non-woody herbs but I've not tried any others .......would be interested to hear if anybody has kept fresh basil this way.

Best regards,

Martin

Mamta, on 7/2/2014 10:22am

I will try it out Martin, one day, when I get round to it!

Butchbearchef, on 3/3/2014 08:51pm

Many years ago I was told to cut off the bottom of a bunch of coriander put in a jug of water like flowers, loosely cover with a plastic bag and keep in the fridge. Every 2-3 days check and remove yellow leaves. Change water once a week.

yocky, on 7/3/2014 08:29am

Parsley will keep for weeks if you dunk the whole bunch in water, shake excess water off, then store in the fridge in a plastic bag.

Coriander doesn't seem to like this treatment though. Wrapping the fresh, but dry bunch in kitchen paper, then storing in the fridge works for me. Unfortunately it just doesn't keep as well as other herbs, but should be usable for a couple of weeks.

Guest, on 10/3/2014 04:16am

I'd think storing wet coriander leaves would make them rot. Have tried various methods, but what seems to work best is to remove the leaves and store in a roomy, airtight box. Crowding seems to make it rot faster. The stems can be used to make a green masala, adding green chillies, cumin, and pepper, with or without garlic.

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com