Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Kadai / Karahi

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

First of all please can I thank you for this wonderful site, I have used it for many years and it's the first place I turn to when looking for Indian recipes, such a wealth of information.

I wondered if anyone could give me advice on an appropriate cooking pot for curries. I watched Rick Stein's 'India' programme and noticed he, and a lot of Indian people featured in the show, used a kadai / karahi with a lid for cooking, I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two but the names seem to be interchangeable when I have 'googled'. I often use a large aluminium pan (Club Cookware Dutch Oven) for a lot of recipes but find the onions don't brown well in the oil and often catch at the bottom. Can anyone recommend a good kadai / karahi or other?

Many thanks :)

Mamta, on 26/6/2013 11:45am

Thank you Deebee

I use this type of pan for most of my curries; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meyer-Advantage-Non-stick-Stockpot-Locking/dp/B001BAZZQM/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1372246843&sr=1-16&keywords=meyer+cookware and this type of wok; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meyer-Maxim-Premier-Stick-28Cm/dp/B009L4G3EI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1372246932&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=meyer+ninstick+wok for most of my bhajies/stir-fries. Karahies are not really suitable form a lot of flat topped cookers and are not required strictly speaking. Rick Stein is usi8ng them because he wants to show the traditional methods. Most people in India, those that can afford it, use non-stick, heavy pans. I wouldn't go buying karahies, not required.

Deebee, on 27/6/2013 11:42am

Perfect. Thankyou for your reply, I need to invest in some new pans so I will take a look.

Thanks again

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com