Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - student in need - please help

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Please, please, please help me. I.ve only got a few days until the hand in for my Final Major research project on cooking and I really need to get at least 100 answers for this questionnaire!

http://www.murden.co.uk/jen/

Thank you so much!

Askcy, on 14/1/2006 07:19pm

I've filled it in, but would like to know what its going to show at the end?..

anychance of returning the favour and telling us exactly what the survey is trying to prove?

student11, on 16/1/2006 12:24pm

Thanks for filling in the questionnaire.

To try and answer your question, basically the aim of the research (which involves a lot more then just this small survey) is to find an area where there may be a gap in the market for a new product design and create a design breif to work from when i do my actual design project.

I havn't finished processing all the data yet, but i will happily publish my results here when i'm done. This should be today or tommorrow.

Kavey, on 16/1/2006 03:54pm

Done but some of the replies insist on choosing one response only from a list where actually two or more apply equally.

AskCy, on 16/1/2006 09:10pm

A small gap in the market?

My answers aren't going to help much then...as most of them were along the lines of "I do it"," like doing it" and "I find it easy"... :-)

student11, on 30/1/2006 09:03pm

Here are the results as promised:

Survey Results from a sample size of 115 people:

Most people (72%) cook traditional meals in their home, followed by ethnic meals which 17% claimed to cook the most.

About half of the respondents said .I would cook more often if it wasn.t so time consuming,. or .I enjoy cooking but wish it was easier..

When asked about specific cooking tasks, responses suggested that the most difficult was carving meat, which 4/10 people found .difficult. or .very difficult.. Peeling vegetables came second.

A third of people claimed they use Cling film for wrapping up foods. Plastic containers appear to be used just as much as Cling film.

Despite the fact that many people said their mother or wife did most of the cooking, the kitchen is not a completely female dominated area. In 1 out of 5 households, it is mainly a man that does the cooking . and in other homes many couples share the task.

When asked about what they most liked about cooking, many people expressed an enjoyment of being able to be creative and feel proud when they cook their own food. Health awareness was also highlighted, with concerns about food content and additives eased by home cooking. Most people (29%), however, said they simply enjoy the eating!

Two very obvious dislikes are apparent, with 43% of people saying they don.t like cleaning or washing up after cooking and 32% saying they think cooking takes too much time.

Mamta, on 31/1/2006 12:48pm

Hello Student 11

Thank you for sharing your interesting, though somewhat predictable, survey results with us. Did you, by any chance, compare your results with a survey that might have been done say 50 years ago? It will be interesting to see if there are any changes in habbits/patterns!

Mamta

AskCy, on 31/1/2006 10:32pm

I'm often shocked that so many people don't really cook... you know the boxed meals and things in tins type meals... Several food/diet related programmes keep showing people who live off takeaways and premade food... which always stuns me as its easier and by far cheaper to make something...(and it tastes 1000 times better)

I went to an all boys school and cooking wasn't an available subject, so all my learning has been from parents, reading, experimenting, trying and doing..

Its a shame that people waste so much on the alternatives and never get to experience a decent home cooked meal... Thats why sites like this one are so valuable, giving people the help and confidence to try and make something for themselves..

:-)

Kavey, on 1/2/2006 11:08am

I'd agree with you that cooking from scratch is cheaper and healthier but easier? Not, not usually...

Waitrose, my local supermarket, sells some truly delicious ready meals in their fresh section that are incredibly quick and tasty...

We're cooking more at home than we used to, especially now we have a weekly delivery of vegetables to use, but it's a fallacy to claim it's quicker to cook at home than to pop something into the oven...

AskCy, on 2/2/2006 07:42pm

I find cooking to be a pleasure.. I find it relaxing .. I suppose in that way I don't notice any of it to be a hard ship.... I'd prefer to put some onions and meat in a pan, add spice and cook it rather than find a box meal, take off outer wrapper, pierce lid, cook for 8 mins on full power,stand for 2 mins, cook for 5 mins on defrost and the let it stand for 2 mins before serving a sugary lava...

sometimes I'm surprised at how quickly I can have something on the plate and I don't feel like I've had to do anything..

Kavey, on 2/2/2006 10:08pm

I've never come across any ready meal that took that long to cook!

Packaging isn't too extensive these days and is very quick and easy to get into indeed. Maybe 30 seconds AT MOST. Then either put it on a baking tray in the oven and forget about it for a while or put it in the microwave for a minute or two and then it's ready.

There is very little I can prepare from scratch that genuinely takes less than a minute or two of my time!

Hey, I'm not saying it's not better to eat home made food. I'm simply questioning the idea that it's easier or quicker!

:o)

Mamta, on 3/2/2006 12:01pm

Pre-cooked meals are fine for when one doesn't have time to cook or when one is feeling tired. However, they have a high salt/sugar/carbohydrate/additives content, even the better ones.

It is worth watching 'Diet Doctors' that is currently on TV. They give a lot of good food information on ready meals/drinks etc.. In general, I do not agree about parading overweight people on TV for the whole world to see and ridicule and I don't particularly care for the holier than though style of the presenters. But the fact remains that the programme does have a great deal of information about food choices and worth watching once or twice.

Mamta

AskCy, on 4/2/2006 12:48pm

Diet Docs and all the rest, yes indeed they do have lots of information (some of which needs to be taken with a pinch of salt..pardon the pun)..

The basics they say are generally spot on but some things are based on generalisations...

They say avoid curry as its very fattening... well it might be with lots of ghee, fatty meat and a pile of naan bread... but it can be made much healthier.. In fact I'd say a Dal made with olive oil or very little ghee is going to be as healthy as anything else you could make (not to mention garlic is said to be good for your heart, ginger is good for digestion etc etc)

Mamta, on 4/2/2006 05:28pm

You are quite right of course Steven. Dal, vegetable and fish dishes are quite healthy, when made with less fat. Indians don't eat the usual restaurant type of high calorie food everyday, just like anyone else anywhere in the world. When these people (some nutritionists) talk about a curry being fattening, they have an image of a greasy, takeaway or restaurant curry, with a lot of cream and oil.

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com