Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Kulcha- Delhi style

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

Hi Mamta,

I wanted to thank you for all your efforts in putting up this informative site! I love cooking and like to make authentic dishes for my kids and family. As I live in the US, it is always challenging (and exciting) to try and replicate the exact taste as I remember growing up in N delhi. I have done so with some success however the recipie of kulchas (served heated on a tava by street side vendors with chanas) has always eluded me.

Since you too are from Delhi ( I assume)it gave me great hope to ask you about the Kulcha recipie on your site (http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13085). Is it similar to the kind of kulchas I mention above? From what I remember, the kulchas are almost sour and spongy, bread like in texture.

Please do reply back. Any ideas/inputs you may have will be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,

Manisha.

AskCy, on 10/10/2010 05:10pm

Manisha I'm sure Mamta will help you out when she can but is having (computer) issues at the moment and may take a little longer than usual.

Steve

Manisha, on 11/10/2010 06:28am

Thanks for letting me know Steve. I look forward to hearing from Mamta at her convenience.

Manisha.

Wintonn, on 11/10/2010 09:48am

Hi Manisha, a warm welcome to to the site!

Often on these forums the topic turns from discussion of the actual recipe to the best way of cooking something to "achieve the exact taste" as you say. Some readers have even built their own tandoor ovens in their gardens!

As an open question, how best is it to try to replicate the effect of a tava in a Western kitchen??

Winton

papu, on 23/9/2011 01:14pm

can any one tell me the recipe of making delhi style kulcha, by the roadside- which is served (not pizza style)with dry spicy chole

thanks in advance

Neeraj, on 1/5/2013 06:01am

Any luck with roadside type kulcha's, the ones sold in grocery stores in US are ridiculous. I'd like to make some fresh ones if someone can share the recipe.

I remember seeing a you tube video long ago but cant find it anymore.

Richard, on 1/5/2013 05:05pm

http://www.squidoo.com/delhi-kulcha

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Kavey, on 2/5/2013 06:54am

Neeraj, the link to the recipe is in the first post of this thread.

Mamta, on 9/5/2013 12:52pm

As I see it on your link 'guest', the recipe is already given!

In India, you don't usually need 'yeast', the yoghurt/natural is enough to cause fermentation of the dough. But here in UK, a helping hand is usually required by adding yeast.

I go to Delhi and Uttaranchal/Uttarpradesh quite regularly and sometimes have fresh Kulcha-cholas. I have to say that it is very seldom that they taste the same, when eaten in two different places. So, to reproduce the taste of what is in someone's mind/memory is very difficult. Keep trying different recipes, perhaps one day you will find an exact copy :-). Good luck!

Mamta, on 10/5/2013 04:01am

I might actually do that myself too, talk to a few Kulcha vallahs, on my next visit to India. If you find a perfect Kulcha recipe, do come back and share with us.

Neweraj, on 14/5/2013 05:39am

Sure, will be glad, mean time resorting to Amritsari Kulcha :)....

Rajneesh , on 23/2/2014 06:42pm

This is a thing that i must, must and must taste when i visit India next. I do not remember when was the last time i tasted Kulcha.

Mamta, on 1/3/2014 12:58am

Hope you find good ones Rakneesh :)!

Arti, on 13/2/2015 12:23am

Any luck with Delhi Style Kulcha Yet? I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. I am from Delhi and miss those kulchas. I have never come across anything close in US. The kulchas offered in Indian restaurants are more like round naans.

Mamta, on 13/2/2015 07:54am

Haven't even thought of Kulchas for a while. I get my fill of them on my frequent visits to India. I will try remember and tweak a recipe for you.

Sneha, on 28/2/2015 03:25am

The kulchas available on the streets of Delhi are normally steamed.Hence the difference in the taste.

Mamta, on 1/3/2015 06:13am

The Kulch recipe is now on this website; Kulcha

Guest, on 22/11/2015 06:44am

Still seems like a different type kulcha as per pictures. Where did you get this recipie.

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com