Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Thanks, & How to get rid of the itch in baingan / suran

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Thank you so much for spending so much time and effort on this site, and for standardizing the recipes in terms of sections. The tips section is especially useful, as are the little details in the actual recipe about heat, order of ingredients etc. I have spent the last week trying out your recipes for things like phool gobhi, band gobhi, and kamal kakri, which I have always struggled with, and for the first time, actually got the kind of taste and texture I had hoped for.

Do you have any suggestions about how one can prevent the itching that comes with baingan / suran? Also, could you suggest some suran recipes?

Once again,

Thank you!

Vasudha

AskCy, on 12/1/2007 04:54pm

Itching?.. is it known for this or are you allergic to it?

AskCy, on 12/1/2007 04:55pm

Ps try doing a search of the recipes on here using those names (or egg plant etc)

Vasu, on 12/1/2007 04:59pm

Suran is known for this, though some people react more than others (as with eggplant too - except that only some kinds of eggplant leave that raw, peeled feeling in the mouth). I remember hearing some "aunties" talking about how to get rid of the itch a long time ago, but neither remember who they were nor what they said :(.....

Vasu, on 12/1/2007 05:06pm

Oh, and I did do a search - unsuccessfully :(:(.

The funny thing is, whenever I make baingan, I never know how bad the reaction will be (or if it will be at all), even with the same batch. I seem to be doing what should be done at times, without knowing it, if that makes any sense at all.

Mamta, on 18/1/2007 11:05pm

Baingan: Vasu, you must be allergic to it. Modern baingan do not usually have this problem. Very old varieties, that were sometimes bitter, used to cause this problem. Do bear in mind that baingan belongs to nightshade familyI will have be at home and do some research on that. Please wait a few days.

Suran: again, modern sooran does not generally have this problem, at least not the one that we buy in UK. I do however remember that when I was a child, my mum used to boil it with tamarind leaves before makig a curry, just for this problem. There must be an ingredient that causes some sort of reaction on the tongue. For a definitive answer, I will ask my mum when I return to base, so please wait for a few days.

Recipe http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_search.php?submit=Go!

Mamta

maverick, on 18/12/2014 01:32am

I too get this feeling. I think this is with either specific type of eggplant or use of garlic or specific cooking method.

I tell my wife to avoid garlic but she never listens. It also give tobacco like taste.

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com