Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Microwave Dahi Bhalle 1

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

I tried the recipe yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I made one small error and that is I forgot to add the baking powder so I guess that's why they were a little heavy. I cooked them in a microwave muffin pan. I cooked 1 cup of Urid, unfortunately I did not have Moong on hand. It rendered 12 Vadas but next time, I'm going to make 18. All it needed was 1 tbs., no more, in each muffin pan. You mentioned an idli steamer -- should these have been steamed!!

I have 2 queries. The recipe calls for grinding the Urid like Sooji which I did. Alternatively, can the Urid be soaked all night and then ground -- that would be a little easier. Would that make a difference? One notation I have to make for myself is to ensure the dough like Urid isn't lumpy (like badly made Sooji Halwa) because it shows up in the Vadas -- that's where I goofed a bit. My second query, and more a clarification query, these Vadas are soaked in warm water like the fried Vadas, are they? Thanks Mamta for helping me expand my Indian cooking.

Mamta, on 9/8/2010 02:56pm

Hello Lydia

Moog dal is the one that gives them softness. So, if that was missing, it may be why yours were a bit heavy. I am not sure about steaming. It is frying that gives them the flavour. When you soak the in water, prior to adding to yoghurt, you get rid of most of the oil anyway, so nothing much a gained by steaming. Same is true of microwave method. It works, but the flavour is not as good. Also, you do have to add some oil to the vada mix to enable you to cook them in microwave. As for taste, there is only one way to find out to see if you like them steamed like idlis.

Yes, microwave vadas are also soaked in warm water.

I have updated the recipe, there were a couple of minor errors in typing.

Lydia, on 9/8/2010 04:22pm

Thanks Mamta. Appreciate additional comments. Will give you further feedback when I've tried them again with Moong. I know one can substitute the flavor of fried goods with those baked or microwaved -- we sacrifice some flavor but it's better for us healthwise. I've been converting a lot of my fried recipes to baked. Initially one notices the difference but afterwards the fried treats taste very oily.

Lydia, on 14/8/2010 02:33pm

Tried the recipe again this morning. Microwaved half and fried half. The fried Vadas were 75% lighter and spongier. Conclusion: Don't think this is a great option.

Lydia, on 15/8/2010 11:26am

Steve, it was Vada 1. I did exactly as per recipe but just micro waved half and fried half. I try desperately to cut down the fat where I can and though this would be a great idea; unfortunately, the result was not the greatest. The microwaved vadas were very heavy -- the others were spongy. Perhaps, with a lot of experimentation we can come up with something. Question: Dhokla texture is spongy and can successfully be made in the microwave -- why not the vadas. What's the ingredients in Dhokla that gives it that airiness.

Thanks....Lydia

Lydia, on 4/3/2016 12:03am

This is another Lydia (the lady who reinvented Kul Kuls) I would love to find the answer for lighter microwaved dahi vadas. I've been experimenting like crazy. I've visited about 30 different sites. Most of the recipes are the same. Some call for all urad, some half urad and half moong. One viewer suggested beating the batter like cake and incorporating as much air as possible. Some recipes call for Enos or Baking Soda. If we can come up with a spongy batter. We will have a solution. I microwaved the vadas in a muffin pan, then lfried them in a lightly greased non stick pan -- that step made a bit of a difference -- it added that slight fried flavour. Another viewer suggested standing the ground batter for a couple of hours and suggested adding 2 tsps. of yogurt to help fermentation. I think we need someone who understands the science of baking. I will post further experiment results.

Mamta, on 4/3/2016 08:31am

I just posted a reply, which got deleted by mistake!

I have tried microwave vadas, kadhi pakoras etc in microwave. My views about this at present is (my views can change as/if I learn or find new, good techniques) that microwave vadas do not have the same taste, flavout or texture. As for fat content of these, you can soak them in warm water for 5 minutes, squeeze them out gently, removing most of the water. But this only works if you want them for addding to yoghurt or 'kadhi' or a curry sauce. It does mot work if you want to eat them as snacks.

It will be interestimg to know if someone comes up with a good microwave recipe?

Mamta

Lydia2, on 4/3/2016 06:42pm

Agree with you Mamta. I experimented again and took pictures. How can I send it to you.

Lydia, on 3/12/2016 03:57pm

After all that blogging about Dahi Vadas, finally I have come up with a great LOW FAT version. No deep frying. The answer is an ABELSKIVER pan. Worth the investment. After trying several recipes this one works beautifully. Wish I could share photos but don't know how. This just describes how to make the Vadas. Soak etc. as per traditional recipe. Dunk in beaten yogurt etc. Serve with traditional chutney's and garnishings.

2 cup urad dhal

1/4 cup Mung

1 inch piece ginger

2 green chillies

1 tbs. yogurt

salt to taste

1 tbs. oil

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

Soak the urad and mung dhal overnight. Next morning, drain thoroughly and blend with the yogurt, green chillies and ginger to a grainy paste. Add salt.

Beat the batter till light and stand 2/3 hours. Cover.

Before frying, add the baking soda, baking powder and 1 tbs. oil. Beat the batter again to incorporate more air. The batter should be light in colour and airy -- like cake batter.

Brush the Aebelskiver pan with oil using a silicon pastry brush.

Place a heaped tbs. in each cavity. Using a skewer flip the vadas when brown and centers are cooked.

Heat the pan on MEDIUM (50% power) not higher.

When the pan is ready, drop 1 heaped tablespoon of batter in each well. The batter should sizzle when it hits the pan.

Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crisp and the top is partially set. Flipping the vada is a little tricky.

Mamta, on 3/12/2016 06:04pm

Thanks for posting this :)

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com