Show Thread

You may reply to this thread.

Like Mamta's Kitchen on Facebook 

Page: 1 

AuthorComment
AskCy
8/5/2009 07:58pm
Ginger biscuits no honey/syrup

Just fancied making some biscuits... my granddaugher is here and we haven't been shopping.. So I've got the flour, some sugar, ginger powder (even got some fresh) but no honey or syrup.... do you think I'd get away with maybe doubling the amount of sugar ?

ginger biscuits

Steve

Askcy
8/5/2009 09:21pm
nothing in Ginger biscuits

Well to answer my own question...lol... er yes you can more or less!

Here is what I did following your recipe as I could and diverting off when I couldn't !

Put 120g Self raising flour in a bowl, add 2 Tsp of ginger powder, 1 tsp baking powder, 0.5 Tsp of salt, 2 tbsp of sugar (normal didn't have any caster!).

Put 60g of sugar directly into a big pan and heated on high heat until it melted (creating a sugar syrup so be careful) added 60g of margerine and stirred it in as it melted. this creates almost a treacle like thick goo (for want of better words).

Working quickly, pour this into the flour mix and stir in rapidly adding 1 Tsp of Vanilla extract (trying to add back some flavour that the syrup would have added)

Once its binding together, kneed into a ball (watch out as its going to be quite hot)

Then break small amounts off and squeeze (rolling doesn't work it just crumbles about) into a small round disk about the size of a 50p coin and about as thick as 4 coins together (who is making up these measurements?..lol ) Place on an oiled and floured tray and put in preheated oven at about 180-200deg C for 10-12 minutes, take out and place on wire rack to cool !

Once cooled they create a reasonable hard crunchy crispy biscuit... maybe not a chewy as some I've had though...

Steve

Askcy
8/5/2009 09:23pm

Can I also add, I've got no enjoyment at all out of baking...! its just not my thing...! I'm happy I had enough idea to still create something that worked but I won't be in a rush to do the baking again....lol

Steve

Mamta
8/5/2009 09:41pm

I bet they tasted much nicer than the shop ones!

Askcy
8/5/2009 09:46pm

They did indeed and they had some ginger to them !

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1786437&l=639f8119f5&id=759322738 I've just added it to my facebook recipes... I add odd ones there off my mobile phone... lol

Steve

AskCy
9/5/2009 06:28pm

Thanks for adding my adjusted recipe.. ginger biscuits 2

Steve

val smith
12/1/2018 06:15pm
ginger biscet,s

I live in Jamaica and cant get golden syrup could I use stem ginger in syrup mixed with honey instead ?

Mamta
13/1/2018 06:56am

Stem ginger syrup will probably too runny. Thick honey should work. Maple syrup or Corn syrup should also work.

Page: 1 

You may reply to this thread.