Forum Thread - Greek Salad

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

has Claire got back to you yet ?

Steve

Jan, on 13/8/2005 10:26pm

Along these same lines, I have a few recipes that you might enjoy:

Greek Salad Dressing

1 c. olive oil; 1/3 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice; 1 1/8 tsp. salt; 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper; 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves and 1-2 garlic cloves (optional)

Put all of the above ingredients into a screw-top jar and shake well. Let stand 3-4 hours for the ingredients to marry. Shake again just before pouring over the vegetables.

Here is my own recipe for Afghan salad:

In a mixing bowl put 3 diced tomatoes, 1 diced onion, 1 minced green chili, 1 tsp. minced garlic, 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro, 2 Table. lemon juice, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper and 1 - 1 1/2 Table. olive oil. Mix well. Chill 1-2 hours before serving. Serve on a few lettuce leaves. (Don't chill the tomatoes for too long or they will lose their flavor.)

I also have some Italian types of salads if anyone is interested. Jan

Mamta, on 14/8/2005 07:03am

Hello Jan

You make dressings like I do :-)! I put a bit of this and a bit of that in a jar, shake it all up and I have a dressing. When dieting, I often omit oil and it is still quite good.

Your recipe sounds very similar to a version of Parsi/Parsee Salad called 'Kachumbar', see http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10125

Parsees are people from Iran who moved to India, from the 10th century onwards, to get away from Mughul persecution. Some of them came to UK more than 100 years ago. Freddie Mercury of Queen was a Parsee. They are followers of Zorastrian faith, one of the old religions of the world, and they worship Ahura Mazda. If you ever go to Iran, do go and visit the ancient ruins of Persepolis, the seat of Achaemenid Dynasty, established by King Darius during the 5th century BC. Their food has a very rich mix of various styles, including Gujrati people from India.

Mamta

AskCy, on 14/8/2005 04:11pm

and you thought this site just taught you about food !

Steve

Claire Moore, on 23/8/2005 10:12am

hey mamta, my surname is Moore and it would be fine to add as a footnote! I dont add lettuce because i like to marinate in the fridge for w few hours as the feta absorbs the oils and flavourings! and take it out of fridge for about an hour before u wish to eat it!.... I made it for a family BBQ last weekend and was pleased to see it had all been eaten up!

Clairex

AskCy, on 24/8/2005 02:40pm

I suppose a way around the lettuce problem would be to do the same thing the Greeks do. Put the feta in olive oil with the spices, and then add it to the fresh salad..

Steve

claire, on 24/8/2005 03:31pm

yeh ur probs right! sometimes tho i find the herbs etc too overpowering in those pre made ones... i find when i marinade the dish suggested is that the tomato juices and onion get infused also... maybe just me

xxclairexx

AskCy, on 25/8/2005 08:33am

there isn't really any right or wrong way, as long as you like it :-)

Steve

Mamta, on 4/9/2005 03:04pm

Hello Claire

I have added youre note to Steve's recipe, take a look:

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10571

Mamta

Claire, on 5/9/2005 04:17pm

thank you for adding my notes mamta! shame the days of bbqing are coming to an end!

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com