Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Are edible silver leaves vegetarian?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5

I m thankful to u all. Who ve saved me frrom this. I m a pure vegeterian. My husband told me plenty of times about vark. Bt today i thought of seeing it on net. From today onwards i wont eat vark

Mamta, on 15/12/2013 06:52pm

Parul, you can buy silver 'varak' made without the use of old-fashion leather method.

Rajneesh, on 18/12/2013 04:16pm

Thank goodness i am not a vegetarian, like my wife, who stares into the food labels for hours all tensed up and just the mention of "varak" would send her blood pressure soaring. :D

Kavey, on 17/3/2014 05:44pm

GJ I have deleted your post, please do not copy material from elsewhere to this site. If you have a source online, you can provide a link.

THanks

jyoti, on 6/10/2014 09:25am

I received a message regarding this and I was in shockso I searched internet and the results are highly shocking.I want to know is there any legal way to stop using this product on our sweets.

Bimal Makwana, on 28/10/2014 01:17pm

After such discussion, still any one has a doubt, read a Gujarati news paper Gujarat Samachar of 27th Oct-2013 or 3rd Nov-2013 (Exact date I do not know but of one of these two date, I am sure) there was an article of more than half page regarding how VARAK is manufactured. Hammering silver by putting between two lather pads is a last process but prior to that is also a very cruel process so it is surely non vegetarian item. One who is pure vegetarian must avoid to eat the good coated with VARAK.

Sunit baruah, on 26/11/2014 01:51am

Silver foil's are made with the help of BULL's Intestine .thin silver sheet are bitten under the fresh bull's intestine.it said that the bull's intestine should be always fresh . Nd for the vegetarian people its a bad news.. .

Mamta, on 25/5/2015 09:23pm

Dear Lalit Maheshwari

Your long post about the manufacture of silver varak has been deleted, because it was a copy of an article 'Varakh (Silver Foil)' by Pramoda Chitrabhanu of Jain Meditation International Center, New York from http://www.jainworld.com/

Mamta

Anarkali , on 19/10/2017 02:10pm

This is a reply to the 2005 thread regarding whether edible silver leaf was vegetarian or non-veg. Here are some facts.

Traditionally, intestines of animals such as cow, buffalo, bulls etc. are used to manufacture silver leaf that is commonly used on several Indian sweets, spices such as cardamom and paan etc.

“The ‘chandi ka vark’ is made by hammering thin sheets of silver in middle of booklets made of a bull’s intestines. After slaughtering a bull, its intestines are removed immediately and sold to the manufacturers of foils.

“The foil manufacturer removes blood and stool from the intestines, and cuts them into pieces. Then he puts one piece of intestine over another, making a booklet out of it. At his home, or in the factory, he puts one silver (or gold) sheet in-between each such booklet and hammers it hard until those metal sheets turn into thin wafers,†explained a manufacturer, on condition of anonymity.â€

However as of 2016, The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has banned the use of any material of animal origin in silver leaf (chandi ka varq) manufacturing process. As of present day (Oct 2017), not sure if it is being enforced.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/health/delhi-high-court-stays-order-banning-use-of-silver-leaf-made-using-animal-material/story-91LxLGhwvJuMFabICzU74N.html

Rajneesh, on 22/10/2017 07:44pm

Hi Mamta and friends,

While in India I would now avoid any sweets covered with varak. Why? because now some of them are using Aluminium instead of Silver. The difference being that Aluminium varak is shinier than silver. Aluminium is toxic and plays havoc with the immune system, even one should avoid aluminium utensils for cooking. In order to save some money some sweet sellers are feeding us toxins, while the authorities are slow to react. This was in the national news.

Mamta, on 23/10/2017 06:11am

True. Most good sweet shops in India now sell burfi and similar sweets without and varak.

Mamta

Page: 1 2 3 4 5

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com